According to the National Safety Council (NSC), common locations for falls include doorways, stairwells, cluttered hallways and areas prone to wetness and spills.
Here are some things the NSC suggests doing to help prevent slips and falls in these and other areas inside your home:
- Make sure you have adequate lighting.
- Arrange furniture so there are clear pathways for walking.
- Install handrails on both sides of stairways.
- Tuck electrical cords out of any traffic areas.
- Clean up spills as they happen, and keep everyone off freshly mopped floors.
- Remove throw rugs, or use non-skid backings to keep them from slipping.